Friday, February 02, 2007

Beads4You Winter 2007 Challenge

What a project this has been! I really stretched myself to the limit on this entire project, I feel so accomplished and proud of my work.

I began the project by purchasing this lot of beads from Beads4You at her Etsy store:



Initially I had an idea for a necklace but decided that since I fancy myself as a fiber artist, I’d try my hand at a custom art yarn project and incorporate the beads into it.

I began by dyeing this bundle of merino wool top roving in shades of grey, black and silver. The theme of the challenge was “Winter Garden” so I envisioned a dark, frozen landscape glazed with shimmery frost and ice.



And then once the roving was dry, I began to spin. I spun a single ply yarn out of all of the roving and ended up with 275 yards in the end. Not too shabby!

Then I strung many of the beads on a sturdy, clear nylon thread and plied them into the yarn to make a bubbly, fluffy sparkly yarn.

For the bigger focal beads, I fashioned detachable ornaments to accent the yarn. These are meant to be removed and repositioned on the finished project.















2 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, Blogger Deneen said...

Positively gorgeous!

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Tiffany said...

Okay, I oogle over your glorious yarn every day, thinking that one day in the future I will buy some. This yarn is by far my favorite. Simply, simply gorgeous!!

I may not have much time to myself, but I will be travelling your way the week of March 12-16th. I can't wait! It's been over two years since we've managed a trip and we may end up with two, even three trips this year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker