Tuesday, January 09, 2007

First attempts with Wilton's Dye

Originally Posted November 29, 2005

Last night I dyed some yarn with the gel food coloring that comes in the little jars. Hate it! Well, at least I do right now. I couldn’t get the color to stay completely colorfast and that pissed me right off. I had crocheted little swatches of wool to dye to sample the colors and while I’m pleased with the colors, I’m struggling with how to make the dye run clear. Perhaps that just isn’t the way to go. The actual drops of food coloring stayed true to color and didn’t bleed but the gel, notsomuch.

Just so you know, black gel dye makes yarn turn purple. True.

See?


Image hosted by Photobucket.com


And then there is Christmas Red (also not colorfast but whatever) and a swatch of the ever famous Pina Pineapple Kool-Aid which turns lovely colors when mixed with other dyes and doesn’t stay that bright orange yellow shade.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker